IN THE CENTERPhnom Penh, the capital of the Kingdom of Cambodia, is one of the most important destinations of tourism in Cambodia. Coming to the Phnom Penh, you can not ignore the famous landmarks and monuments:
- Royal Palace, Phnom Penh with two relics of Silver Pagoda and emerald Buddhist Temple is one of the most popular attractions of Cambodia tourism;
- Wat Phnom;
- National Museum of Cambodia;
- Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (S-21 prison);
- Choeung Ek Killing Fields, where the Khmer Rouge regime executed many innocent people;
- Wat Botum where Pol Pot lived in his boyhood
- Independence and Liberation Monument
- Olympic Stadium, where Asian Games sport tournament should have taken place in the 60s but was canceled due to the political situation at that time.
|Royal Palace in Phnom Penh|
River cruise in Phnom PenhComing to Phnom Penh, many visitors choose a trip with dinner on the romantic river in front of the Royal Palace. Excursions lasts about 1 hour to 2 hours, along the Tonle Sap river from Chatomuk Square downtown, tourists enjoy the panorama of Royal Palace, National Museum, parks and panorama of Phnom Penh, across the Tonle Sap River and go to the Mekong river to enjoy views of the fishing villages on the river. The most appropriate time to catch the panoramic photo of the Royal Palace is in the early morning when the sun shines in the east.
Siem Reap: the popular tourist destination in Cambodia with a key position near the Tonle Sap, the river town of Battambang and most importantly, the relics, ruins of Angkor. In addition to be the city as a transit point for other prominent destinations in Cambodia, Siem Reap has many remarkable sights in the city:
- Angkor National Museum: exhibits the specimens showing Angkor history with modern technology. The most impressive section is the room1000 Buddha statues.
- Wat Bo: the combination of French architecture and the features influenced by Thai Buddhism;
- Wat Preah Prom Rath: a 500 year old temple with the reclining Buddha statue;
- Angkor Silk Farm: is not far from the city center but is located in quite spacious rural areas, is the place where you can witness the process of making silk of Cambodian.
|The process of making silk in Angkor Silk Farm|
One of the busiest areas in the city is the Old Market area with restaurants, cafes of every prices. If you want to experience the lively bars, you should visit Pub Street considered as the West street in Siem Reap and of Cambodia tourism, similar to Bangkok's Khao San area and Bui Vien street in Saigon.
Several other Cambodian tourist destinations which can be reached from Siem Reap include the relics of Banteay Chhmar in Banteay Meanchey province nearby, Banteay Srei Butterfly Center located near Banteay Srei temple outside of Angkor relic, and Phnom Bok hill (20km northeast of Siem Reap) with the majestic ruins, relics of Koh Ker temple pyramid (120km from Siem Reap) and relics of Sambor Prei Kuk ancient capital near Kampong Thom city. These are all valuable relics contributing to the development of tourism industry in Cambodia.
|Banteay Srei Butterfly Center|
In Northern regionBanlung: Banlung is the capital town of Ratanakiri province eastern of Cambodia. This is a wild land with vast forests and is also inhabited by the ethnic minorities of Cambodia. Therefore, coming to Banlung, you will have a quite different experience from the popular attractions of Cambodia tourism. Some popular destinations in Banlung are Yeak Laom volcanic lake, Wat Rahtanharahm, Chaong waterfall (you can go at the back of this waterfall because the stone steps have been undermined) and Virachey National Park. Apart from that, Banlung is also home to many rubber factories and gemstone mines. You can ask the hotel staff about the tours discovering the precious stone mines.
|Yeak Laom volcanic lake seen from above|